Mission and Duty of the California Career Resource Network (CalCRN)
The mission of the California Career Resource Network is to provide all persons in California with career development information and resources to enable them to reach their career goals.
The primary duty of the California Career Resource Network is to distribute career information, resources, and training materials to middle school and high school counselors, educators, and administrators, in order to ensure that middle schools and high schools have the necessary information available to provide a pupil with guidance and instruction on education and job requirements necessary for career development.
Information and resources distributed by the California Career Resource Network shall provide all of the following:
- Encouragement to completing a secondary education.
- Career exploration tools, provided in written and multimedia format, that offer an introduction to the nature of career planning, self-assessment, methods of investigating the work world, methods of identifying and meeting education and training needs, and methods of creating a career action plan.
- Relevant information on the labor market and career opportunities.
- Assistance to a pupil in the acquisition and development of career competencies including the appropriate skills, attitudes, and knowledge to allow a pupil to successfully manage his or her career.
CalCRN works with a State Agency Partners Committee comprised of:
- The Director of Employment Development
- The State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- The Chancellor of the California Community Colleges
- The Director of Rehabilitation
- The Director of Social Services
- The Executive Director of the California Workforce Investment Board
- The Chief Deputy of the Adult Programs Division, Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation *
- The Chief Deputy of the Juvenile Justice Division, Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation **
- The Director of the Department of Developmental Services
(or their designees)
The State Agency Partners Committee coordinates the use of CalCRN information and resources in programs that are implemented by the entities that the members of the committee represent.
CalCRN is a program within the California Department of Education as established in California Education Code Section 53086. Since 1998, CalCRN has been part of a nationwide program called the America's Career Resource Network (ACRN) authorized through the Carl D. Perkins Act Vocational and Technical Education Act, Section 118.